Friday, January 29, 2016

Republican Debate Before Iowa Caucus

Like many of you, I, too, watched the republican debate last night. Let me tell you something: it felt great to watch a debate with substance and it felt great to watch a debate filled with issues that, at least I, care about. Glenn beck said last weekend while endorsing Ted Cruz that "it will not take one man to make America great again". I believe that. One man cannot do a stunt like that. One man can, however, enable the American people to create greatness. Almost every candidate on that stage last night was eligible. 

First, I must say, it was humorous to watch Jeb and Christie act so conservative with records that are far from it. 

There was a great back-and-forth event that included Jeb and Marco, however. It delt with immigration. Marco tried pinning Jeb as an amnesty candidate. When Jeb had the chance to respond, he said he decided to support [Marco] because he was asked to, personally, and because Jeb felt that he needed to support a fellow party leader. First thing: Rubio never declined that statement. He said Jeb was pro-amnesty, Jeb said because he was asked to support one of Marco's bills that supported the amnesty. Marco never denied this. Along with Marco's support for the gang of 8 bill, which I brought up last summer to my friends and family because they forgot all about it, which is, by the way, very easy to do in today's media age, I am surprised people still take him seriously. I'm glad Ted, Jeb and even Marco finally got that all together. Marco supports amnesty and last night proved it. I will add, it is always a treat to watch Marco be so right-leaning as well. 

Staying on topic of immigration, Ted Cruz said something that was easily missed. I had to replay it later on because I wanted to make sure I heard him right. He spoke about what he would do with laws regarding immigration in this country. Along the ideas mentioned of stopping the funding of sanctuary cities, which I'll get into another blog post someday, he spoke about ending welfare to illegal immigrants in this country. How many people are aware of this information? I doubt many people on both sides of the aisle. The amount of welfare dollars being spent in this country only grows when talking about illegals. Milton Freidman famously said: "You cannot have an open-border, welfare state."  It will cease to exist. That is a scary though. That's what we have right now with a debt over $20 trillion. Ted made it known, as well, that he stood alone against the Washington establishment on this and many other issues, many times. Not only until the backing of two amazing senators named Steve King and Jeff Sessions, King is a senator from Iwoa, was he able to get things done. Many candidates talk about making deals and getting everybody together. I, personally, want somebody who will fight, even when standing alone, because that lone person is standing on principle. That alone is worth much more than having the help of a thousand backbone-less individuals who need to uphold a promise from their lobby. Ted does have a record of keeping and staying on track. He made sure people recognize that last night. 

Rand Paul said something, a few things actually, about Hillary Clinton. One defiantly cought my attention. It was an answer on whether or not Bill's history is fair game in today's election process. It quickly turned into a women's rights answer. Rand said that "Hillary claims she supports women's right's, yet she accepts money from Middle eastern countries that treat women like cattle." Well, this is very true. I completely forgot about this issue. This was back..maybe...2 years ago when all of the Clinton foundation stuff first started to come out. Then a year later that book 'Clinton Cash' was released. Very good of him to bring that up. It has not been raised because we have been on this whole birther issue. See what I mean by it felt great to watch a debate full of substance and issues that people like me actually care about? I applaud Rand for bringing this up. I hope others notice this as well because it needs have attention. 

Now, Dr. Ben Carson dropped in the polls after the last or second to last debate because he was thought to have a lack of international knowledge. I was still hyped on the Trump Train then and I stopped paying attention to him. I regret doing so because I was very impressed with how much he actually did know! On the subject of energy, he exclaimed that we need to put Putin back in his "Box where he belongs" and make Europe dependent on us for natural gas because of "God's Gift" that we have for all of this natural gas, as well as other innovations brought about by this country. He mentioned a few other countries when questioned about tackling ISIS. I agreed with him 100% on everything he said. We need more tanks there. We do need to arm the people who want to fight, but cannot. So many things we can do, although I prefer Ted Cruz's idea of seeing if sand can glow but that doesn't mean I disagree with Dr. Ben Carson. I am saddened deeply that I left his side but I believe he will still be a force to be reckoned with. 

Last but not least, going back to Ted Cruz. This whole thing about how he hates ethanol: It's a big lie based on nothing. He has never once said that he is against ethanol and I'm glad he took time to clear things up during the debate. He said that he is against subsidies towards energy corporations. This includes ethanol. The reason is because if a company cannot stand on its own, it must fail because it's obvious the market doesn't want it. This is basic capitalism. There's no place for it. It's a waste of tax payer's (yours and mine) money. He said that we "have been blessed with all sorts of natural resources. We should be developing oil, natural gas, coal and nuclear and wind and solar and ethanol and biofuels. But I don't believe that Washington should be picking winners and losers." He brings up the EPA's Blendwall mandate. Which makes it illegal to sell mid level blends of ethanol and gasoline. "Taking down this Blendwall will enable ethanol to expand its marketshare by up to 60% all without mandates, all without government mandates whatsoever through the marketplace (the people's free market). Steve King, the senator from Iowa that I mentioned earlier supports Ted on this. It's because Ted is correct in this issue. Carson, by the way, supports this same situation as I previously mentioned with making Europe dependent on us. I cannot agree with them more. Let the people decide what we want. If it is a great product, we will buy it and it will grow. That's true on anything, why should it not be true for energy?

Now I held a poll on my Twitter, @TheMindOfClint if you didn't know, and because I could only place four items, I placed the top three and then others, while telling voters to comment the others. 
At the time of this writing, there are a few hours left. It's interesting. Although, I felt as though Ted, Ben and Rand did the best, maybe Rand is part of the 'other' choice. (Some of you guys are not the good at commenting lol) but it's, interesting, nonetheless. 

As of writing, the link is still available to watch the entire debate. I encourage you to look for what I have thought was interesting and I encourage you to comment on if you felt I missed anything or if I found something that you missed as well. This year is important, let's never forget that. 

-Clint

This link is a perfect jab at Donald who was thought to be raising money for veterans but the money was actually gong to The Trump Foundation. An organization that has a history of giving money to The Clinton Foundation. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the the Trump funnel to his foundation.

    ReplyDelete