Friday, April 10, 2015

Apple Watch Thoughts

Apple just released their new device for preorder today. And, surprise: it's sold out. It took 6 hours to do so. There are so many reviews saying everything and anything. They talk about the screen, they talk about the OS, they talk about the apps...but they are not talking about the most important information. The fact that it can tell time to an amazing degree.

Really, you may overlook this feature, but it's incredibly important. We as a culture rely on time. We don't just meet for lunch, we meet for lunch at 12 noon. We don't just watch World News Tonight, We Watch World News Tonight at 6 pm. We don't just go into work anytime we want, unless you're Tim or someone really cool, we have a set time when we must be there. Since some of us use watches, we naturally rely on them. For the other part of us, we rely on our phones. Why? It is because the time is precise. It's accurate. We never have to worry about it. The fact that there is a watch that is this accurate is pretty awesome.

I travel all over the place. I constantly change time zones and I can tell you it's a pain in the butt to pull the crown out, spin it, match it up and then push it back in. If I'm lucky, the time won't change. Sometimes, though, my finger spins and it causes the hands to move ahead or back by 5 or 10 minutes. So I have to repeat the process, hoping the hands don't move due to my faulty motor skills. Even if I get it right, it could be a minute off or so. All of this could be avoided, though, by having a watch that sets itself. And it's perfectly synchronized with the rest of the world. No worries. If you think one minute isn't that much to worry about, picture this: if you are a big fan of The Walking Dead, try missing the first minute of a new episode. How about the last minute of a new episode. Yeah..I bet it's pretty important now.

Sure the watch isn't round like the Moto360. It may only work with iPhones. It's a watch and nobody wears them anymore. Even Tim Cook said a few years back that there is nothing he could do to make a teenager wear a watch. That's why they are not targeting the teen. They are marketing this thing as a high end watch. People are saying '$350 for a smart watch? pshhhh' It's not just a smart watch. It's a High end time piece. That's how Apple is marketing it and that's what it truly has. No other High end watch does what the Apple Watch does.

For this, I am excited about. I may or may not get this generation. I wish there was a leather band for the sport black model. I wouldn't get anything else because I have such bad luck with watch faces. The sapphire screen would break in a heartbeat for me.

Really though...this this is first and foremost a watch and it it does it brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment